Comments

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:46 PM
I have been looking for something that can facilitate 'object-first' design, generate the DB and mapping from handwritten POCO. This project definitely has potential as I haven't found any product (after searching for months)  that does exactly that (many products force you to use their proprietory 'entity model' to generate classes and the db mapping, which I don't want). However, one of the most important features lacking is, as you mentioned, inheritance support. I think inheritance is one of most important benefits of an object-model-first approach. If things are all flat then I can just stick to the common db-first approach.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM
Thanks for your comment.

As you can probably tell, by the lack of recent progress, I haven't been able to find the time to take Close2Poco any further :-(   Having said that, it's open source, and contributions of coding work are welcome ;-)

I may eventually adapt it so that it requires the full LINQ-to-SQL mapping attributes to be applied (manually) but that the property implementations are still one-liners.   That may be useful for projects where you have to divide your entities between multiple LINQ-to-SQL diagrams, but you want to (manually) create some  fully-functional associations between entities in different diagrams.

In the meantime, check out Mindscape LightSpeed.  It is an ORM that does what you want, I believe.  It does have a visual design surface, but you don't have to use it.  Properties of Lightspeed objects look similar to those of Close2Poco objects.